Quenby Hall, c. 1740
By descent in the Ashby family, Quenby Hall, Leicestershire, until 1904.
Rosamund Greaves and Lord Henry Grosvenor, Quenby Hall, acquired from the above; and by descent.
Sir Harold Stansmore Nutting (1882 – 1972), Quenby Hall, acquired from the above in 1924.
The De Lisle family, Quenby Hall, acquired from the above in 1972.
Private Collection, UK.
J. Harris, Country House: A history of country house and garden view painting in Britain 1540 – 1870, London, 1979, pp. 225, 239, no. 261 (illus. pl. 261).
Quenby Hall, a Jacobean house set in extensive parkland near Cold Newton and Hungarton, was described by Nicholas Pevsner as ‘the most important early-seventeenth century house in the county of Leicestershire’. The hall was built between 1618 and 1636 by George Ashby (1598 – 1653), High Sheriff of Leicestershire, on an estate acquired by the Ashby family in the 13th century. The estate descended in the family until 1904, when it was acquired by Rosamund Greaves (née Lloyd) and her second husband Lord Henry Grosvenor, who was responsible for restoring much of the original Jacobean interior. Her son sold Quenby Hall in 1924 to Sir Harold Nutting.
This painting, traditionally attributed to the sporting and topographical painter Peter Tillemans, is the most recognisable and widely published view of Quenby. It is believed to date from circa 1740.